My favorite past-time as a child was waking up every Sunday morning to make pancakes with my family. We would enhance the tasty meal with blueberries, chocolate chips and even bananas. However, with the autumn leaves finally falling, I wanted to make my breakfast a little more festive. This pumpkin spice pancakes recipe is the perfect way to combine your emotional attachment to pancakes with your love for autumn air. What is great about this recipe is that the pumpkin taste and touch of fall spices are not overbearing, but it is still is a great way to wake yourself up for the day!
To enhance the recipe, feel free to add rasins, crushed walnuts or toasted pumpkin seeds. Or, if you are a sweet tooth like me, add chocolate chips and sprinkle the pancakes with cinnamon sugar.
Pumpkin Spice Pancakes (adapted from Annie's Eats)Makes about 8-10 pancakes Preparation time: 5 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 35 minutes
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Dash of ground ginger
- Dash of ground cloves
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil or melted butter
- Ch0colate Chips, crushed walnuts or rasins (optional)
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and spices; stir with a fork until well mixed.
- Combine the milk, pumpkin puree, egg and oil or butter in a liquid measuring cup. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together until just combined. The batter may still have a few lumps, but that is okay.
- Heat a greased skillet, medium-sized frying pan or griddle over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, add a 1/3 cup scoop of batter to the pan.
- Cook pancake until bubbles begin to form on the top surface; carefully flip the pancake with a spatula and cook the second side until golden brown. Transfer pancake to serving dish and repeat with the rest of the batter, regreasing the pan as needed.
- Serve with cinnamon sugar, maple syrup, and/or whipped cream and enjoy!