Photos and Words by Krystle Lischwe
If you love to gawk at food as much as I do, you MUST be on Pinterest. Ranging from delectable caprese stuffed burgers to scrumptious cup brownies, Pinterest is the modern day cookbook. With all of these dishes posted on my board, I wanted to see if some of these recipes were as good as they looked. More importantly, are these recipes even doable for the average cook? The first recipe I wanted to test was Mini-Apple Pies. I'm sure you’ve seen pictures of this mouthwatering dessert all over Pinterest. If you haven't, you’re in for a treat-literally!
Mini-Apple Pies adaptedfrom Little Bit Funky Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes, Makes 28 pies
8 cups of apples (about 8 medium apples) 1/4 cup flour 1 1/2 cups sugar 4 teaspoons cinnamon 2 teaspoons nutmeg (optional) 4 tablespoons butter 4 pie crusts (2 boxes of Pillsbury pie crusts)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grease muffin pan and set aside.
- After peeling and coring the apples, cut into small 1/2 inch pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients with apples. Be sure to coat all the apple bits evenly.
- Carefully unroll piecrusts. Make sure they are room temperature or they will crack (you can microwave them for a few seconds if they aren't.)
- Cut several circles out of piecrusts. (Mason jar tops or cups work best)
- Place crusts into muffin pan and fill with apple filling.
- Divide butter into 28 equal pieces, one for each pie.
- Place a piece of butter on top of each pie and cover with leftover dough.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
That’s it! Now, you too can master this Pinterest legend. After attempting this recipe, I have to say it was tedious work. So unless you have a helping hand, count on spending a fun hour peeling and coring apples by yourself. Not the best when you’re craving the sweet treat! Overall, the outcome was a success! These bite-size deserts were perfectly sweet and moist. (None of that fake filling you may find in bakeries.)
So, if you want to send your Valentine a delicious surprise, or if you’re drooling just looking at these pictures, this recipe is a must!