Photos and Words by Amanda Barone and Marisa Catapano
As usual, the story starts with Marisa, the healthy foodie, scrolling through her Instagram feed drooling over the hundreds of foodporn accounts she follows. One picture in particular stopped her in her tracks: Chocolate & Peanut Butter Molten Lava Cakes. Not only did the picture make her stomach growl at first sight, but the recipe in the caption gave her hope that she could recreate this masterpiece herself.
Since they were both heading home to Long Island for Spring Break, Marisa decided to recruit Amanda the Chocoholic to bring this delicacy to life. Teamwork makes the dream work, after all.
So it goes that on Thursday afternoon, Amanda pulled up to the Catapano Compound for the first time and the two got right to work. Marisa had all of the ingredients lined up on the counter, and Amanda was shocked to see what simple, natural ingredients they would be using to create such a rich dessert. Rather than the typical flour, eggs, butter, and oil that are used to make cakes, this recipe called for healthy alternatives: almond flour, almond milk, and coconut oil. This is what appealed to Marisa the most, as she is all about health-ifying recipes to make them delicious and nutritious!
After all was said and the lava cakes were done, Amanda and Marisa could not have been more pleased with their creations. With the first forkful, the lava cake “erupted,” oozing warm chocolate and peanut butter. Although the consistency was more liquid than cake-y, there were no complaints as the two sat in silence and devoured the magical molten cakes.
Not only were these cakes simple and easy to make, but also provided the perfect combination of sweet and salty flavors. Whether you’re a chocoholic, Reese’s lover, or health nut looking to eat clean, this recipe is one for the books!
Chocolate & Peanut Butter Molten Lava Cakes
Adapted from Instagram User: @healthyfitnessmeals
Yield: 2 Lava Cakes
7 tbsp flour of choice (we used almond flour)
1 tsp baking powder
3 ½ tbsp cocoa powder
5 tbsp raw caster sugar (or brown sugar)
7 tbsp almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
3 ½ tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp peanut butter
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease two ramekins, set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and sugar.
3. Whisk in the melted coconut oil and milk until smooth.
4. Spoon the mixture into the ramekins, about ⅓ of the way full.
5. Place 1 tbsp-full of peanut butter in the center of each ramekin.
6. Top with remaining batter, covering the peanut butter.
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the centers of the cakes are slightly undercooked and wobbly when shaken.
8. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
9. Top with melted peanut butter and/or powdered sugar, if desired. Enjoy!