Words and Photos by Yasmine Ghanem
When I was growing up, my family and I would drive out to an orchard for apple picking once a year. Having that time to spend together was something I’d always look forward to, but with my brother and I both in college now, there’s hardly any time. Thinking back on those apple picking adventures got me a little homesick, but what better way to eat the sadness away than with fresh out-of-the-oven cookies! These butterscotch glazed apple spice cookies are perfect for when you’re thinking of home and need a little comforting.
2 Gala apples
2⅓ cup all-purpose flour
1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
a pinch of grated nutmeg
1¼ cup packed brown sugar
¾ cup unsalted butter
2 large eggs
½ cup dried cherries
½ cup walnuts
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line large cookie sheets with parchment paper or use non-stick spray (I used only 1 cookie sheet). Dice apples and gather ingredients.
2. Combine dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl. In a larger bowl, mix melted butter and sugar until fluffy, then add in the eggs.
3. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and beat until dough is thick. Once combined, add chopped apples, cherries, and walnuts.
4. Scoop tablespoons (or whatever size you want!) of the cookie dough onto the sheet(s), spread evenly apart. Bake for 12-15 minutes and take out to cool for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Combine butterscotch chips, brown sugar, butter, and vanilla in a saucepan at medium heat, stirring the mixture until thick.
6. Drizzle the sauce onto cookies and enjoy this fall-friendly snack!
Recipe adapted from Delish